Tuesday 8 November 2016

Two Coloured Masked Monoprints : Attempt 2

My first attempt at this exercise was not a success so I tried again on my next trip to WYPW. This time I used the A3 sized cut out of a female figure. I chose purple and yellow to give a good contrast. 

I thought I was being clever by rolling a thin layer of ink and placing a mask under it to act as a guide - however I forgot to remove the second mask when I put this through the press and there was a second ghost image as the mask was thick enough to displace the thin monoprint plate. 





I tried again. The alignment still wasn't great and I felt that the purple background was too thin and uneven.




The next attempt was better although there was a halo of lighter purple around the figure - It is quite effective but I'm not sure whether that was the result of uneven inking of the plate or the result of me not adjusting the pressure on the press to a high enough level.


I tried reversing the colours - the alignment on this print wasn't as good as the one before - it is still a but 'hit and miss'. I prefer the purple background/yellow figure combination out of the two colourways.


As usual I played around with multilayer ghost prints before packing up but I was starting to feel despondent with this exercise and worrying that I would not be able to complete it to an adequate standard. 





No comments:

Post a Comment