Friday 1 June 2018

Drypoint and Monoprint Workshop at WYPW

Last year, before I stopped work on the course, I attended a drypoint and monoprint  day course at West Yorkshire Print Workshop. The course was taught by Cath Brooke Click Here to link to the artist's website. The teaching was excellent. Attached is text from the course notes. 

It was also very valuable to see other students working in the same medium as we all produced very different work. 











Unfortunately, I was already starting to feel unwell at this time so my choice of subject matter wasn't particularly inspired. Nevertheless it was a useful day to practise with the technique. 



Drypoint plate


I particularly enjoyed the fact that the image could be changed considerably depending on how the plate was wiped. I am especially drawn to the very dark effect obtained by selective wiping. On the image below I didn't wipe a lot but I picked out the flowers using a cotton bud. On the second one I wiped more ink away so the lines made by the drypoint tool are more distinct. The third image was printed in two layers one layer with monoprint and another with drypoint. Unfortunately, the plates weren't exactly the same size, but it was a useful experiment.


Drypoint with selective wiping







Drypoint wiped more completely

Two layer print: Drypoint and Monoprint




No comments:

Post a Comment